Arrow Video is pleased to announce the release of The Honeymoon Killers, based on one of the darkest true stories from the annals of American crime, that of the notorious ‘Lonely Hearts Killers’.
This cult classic, which François Truffaut once described as the film that had made the deepest impression on him in twenty years, will be made available in a stunning new 4K transfer and available on dual format Blu-ray and DVD from 9th November.
This new disc will include a host of extras which are detailed below and include Love Letters, a video piece by Robert Fischer featuring actors Tony Lo Bianco and Marilyn Chris and editor Stan Warnow, alongside featurettes in which filmmakers Todd Robinson (Lonely Hearts) and Fabrice du Welz (Alleluia) discuss the film and the real-life events that inspired their own work.
This exciting new set will also include an illustrated collector’s booklet featuring No Average Killers, Johnny Mains’ extensive new essay on the film’s real-life inspiration, plus archive materials.
One of the great cult true-crime films, hailed by genre aficionados and highbrow cinephiles alike (François Truffaut said in 1980 “These past 20 years, very few films have made a bigger impression on me”), The Honeymoon Killers is a compelling dramatisation of the true story of the notorious ‘Lonely Hearts Killers’.
Two mismatched lovers, overweight nurse Martha Beck (Shirley Stoler, Seven Beauties) and con man Ray Fernandez (Tony Lo Bianco, God Told Me To), concoct a plan to lure unsuspecting victims via lonely-hearts ads. But this is no lip-smacking killing spree but a memorably intense study of loneliness and the lengths to which desperate people will go to keep what they once thought they’d never have.
The only film directed by opera composer Leonard Kastle (with additional material by an uncredited Martin Scorsese), shot in stark black and white and incongruously scored by Gustav Mahler, The Honeymoon Killers is a complete one-off in American cinema. Veteran critic Derek Malcolm wrote “At that time, we’d not seen that kind of film, a super-realist depiction of the banality of evil. It came like a clap of thunder.”
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentation of a brand new 4K restoration
- Original mono audio (uncompressed PCM on the Blu-ray)
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Love Letters, a video piece by Robert Fischer featuring actors Tony Lo Bianco and Marilyn Chris and editor Stan Warnow
- Folie à Deux: Todd Robinson, director of Lonely Hearts, explores the true story of the Lonely Hearts Killers
- Body Shaming: Todd Robinson explores the film
- Beyond Morality: Fabrice du Welz, director of Alleluia, discusses the film that inspired him
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly-commissioned artwork by Jay Shaw
- Illustrated collector’s booklet featuring No Average Killers, Johnny Mains’ extensive new essay on the film’s real-life inspiration, plus archive materials
|Release Date||Monday 9th November 2015|
|Running Time||108 mins|
|Blu-ray Cat Number||FCD1184|
Arrow Video Official Channels